Saturday, November 2, 2013

Seat riser and other stuff

I know updates have been kinda slow lately, but real life has a tendency to do that.  After being out of town, working, yard work, and various other things, I finally managed to get something done on the mustang.

I fit and installed the driver side seat riser without any real trouble, and proceeded to finish something that I have wanted to do for a while.  I built a frame to hold up the car.  Couple of reasons for doing it.  I wanted it higher than the jack stands were going to let me have it sit, I wanted a reliable way to level the car front to back and side to side, and I wanted to be able to have all the measurements for the underside of the car integrated into the frame.

I made the frame from wood for a few reasons.  First, I wanted it to be high up off the ground.  That means a lot of more expensive steel than I was willing to pay for.  I would rather spend that money for the steel to build a rotisserie.  (Hopefully that will be coming here in the future.)  Second, I like the ability to cut and install the wood with minimal tools and effort.  It also made it very easy to come up with a way of leveling the frame without too much trouble.  Finally, I am expecting the work with the frame rails to be done sometime next year, and since I am not planning on restoring any more mustangs in the near future, that means I don't need the frame for an extended period of time.  When I'm done it will be easy to then make the frame disappear in any number of ways.

And now just a few pics for your enjoyment.

Prepping the underside.  I cleaned it up, masked the welding surfaces, and painted it with Zero Rust.  

Painted!  I finished up the welding surfaces with weld through primer.

Here it is being fitted into place.

Zapped it solidly to car.  Bzzzzzt!

Ground the welds, cleaned it up, and painted it.

Here is the front of the frame.  It is very sturdy, and easy to work under.

Here is the backside.  If you look close on the left side of the picture, you can see the bolts that I put in to level the frame.  It actually works really well and gives me a very fine adjustment.

Looking back from just under the torque boxes.


Now I mentioned that I was out of town.  While I was a away, I visited a museum of classic cars from the 20's and 30's.  Thought I might share the pics for all you guys.  All the cars are concourse restorations and are numbers matching.

















12 comments:

  1. Nice work on the seat platform and wooden body buck Grant. Also, thanks for sharing the museum pics. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This part was pretty easy compared to some other stuff that I have now done. :P As for the pics, I have to show cool cars to the cool car guys, right?

      Delete
  2. Great to see you tackle a few more jobs on your car Grant! Seat pan looks excellent! And the museum hardware looks stunning as well. What wonderful works of art....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sven, I actually think I overwhelmed the poor lady at the door with all the questions I asked about the cars. I love the old style cars like this. They had so much character back then.

      Delete
  3. I had a flashback to installing the seat riser in my fastback. Looks like you tackled it like a pro, Grant. I'm thinking of making a frame for mine as well when it's time to come off the rotisserie...whenever that will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny Dennis, as I referred to your post before I put it in :) I am thinking a rotisserie might be next springs major project. Once I get the frame sorted , I want to take it off the support frame and onto a rotisserie to make it easier to work on.

      Delete
    2. Hmmm.... If we lived closer and I got my butt in gear, we could work out a deal where you could borrow my rotisserie. :-D

      Delete
    3. I would like it if we all lived within spitting distance of each other, it would fun to work on all the cars together.

      And yeah, get your butt in gear and finish the car :P

      Delete
  4. You made that look easy! It's always good to read everyones latest posts before I go out into my cold garage to work on my rust beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom it was actually one of the easiest things I have installed so far, It was one of those line it up, and weld it in type jobs. Not a whole lot of fitting involved with this piece fortunately.

      Also, keep reading all of these blogs, I have learned more off of these things than I have anywhere else on the net. The content in these is top notch!

      Delete
  5. Happy for you that you got your floors done right. Thanks for sharing the Car exhibition pics. I loved Car #11, looks like the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car! There must be millions of dollars in car value in that place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were a bit of a pain, but worth it in the end. Now I am going to be singing that song for while....

      Delete