Friday, February 28, 2014

Rocker and Frame Rail, Oh My!

So in this latest installment, we go through the removal of the last bit of the inner side rocker, fixing some more rust cancer and removing that poor excuse for a frame rail.  How that thing ever managed to hold the car up is beyond me.

So first things first.  I separated the last piece of the inner side rocker from the rest of the car.  It was little more challenging than the rest of the piece due to it being sandwiched between the rocker and the torque box.  After some awkward positions and various tools, I had it removed.

I then started stripping back the paint from the myriad holes that were in the rocker from the molding and several rivets.  During this process I found another cancerous area at the back of the rocker.  I cut it out and fixed it the same way that I did with the ones up front.  While I had the welder out I then proceeded to fill in all those pesky holes.  I don't plan on putting the molding back on the car, so I really don't need them.

After that was complete, I stripped away the rest of the paint and proceeded to clean it up.  I then applied a coat of Zero Rust.  It definitely looks much better now.

Next on the list was getting that frame rail out of the car as I have a new one on the way.  It should be here next week.  So I dug into it, wire wheeled all the paint, bondo, seam sealer, rust, and dirt away from the spot welds.  After much drilling, cutting, prying, twisting, hammering and cussing, I finally found all the little areas where it was hanging on and removed it permanently from the car.  On an aside, I finally picked up a Blair Premium Spot Weld Cutter.  This thing cuts like a dream.  If I had been using one of the Harbor Freight ones still, I think I would have already destroyed it.  With any luck this will last me through the rest of the car.  It seems very durable and has taken quite a bit of abuse already.

After looking at the sorry state of the rail, and demolishing another rodent home inside of it, I did a test fit of the new inner side rocker.  It seems to fit almost perfectly, and I shouldn't have to do very much if anything before I weld it in.

Last bit of the inner side rocker removed!

Uh oh, found some more cancer.

Fixed!

Pesky little holes.

Holes are now gone.

Stripped.

Back half.

Boy does that look good.

I think I found them all...but there were some hidden under the floor pan.

Ugly rust at the back.

Eviction notice.  This one was in the shock mount under the transition pan.

It's out!  You can just see the other home in the front of the rail.  Pretty much rotted out that front piece of the rail.  If it wasn't for that, I might have been able to save the torque box.  Problem is, I can't buy just that piece of the rail.  The next problem is that I need the middle section and back section replaced.  Makes more sense to just do the whole thing instead of trying to mess with it.

Cracked almost clean through right at the top of the arch.

I knew this was going to be bad.  Doctor, what's the verdict?  I am afraid the cancer has spread to far.  Our only choice is to amputate.  

It fit really well out of the box.  This should be a piece of cake to install.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that's some serious progress Grant! I'm in total agreement on the Blair premium cutter. It truly is far superior to the Harbor Freight version. That frame rail was certainly toast. Can't wait to see the new one all tucked in. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little put off by the price of the cutter at first, but now that I have one, I know it will more than make up for it.

      With any luck, I will have the rail installed in a couple of weeks. Next up on the agenda is front torque box, toe board, and floor pan.

      Delete
  2. How in the heck can you be working on your car and getting so much done when winter ain't over yet (as I look at my outside thermometer reading 0 degrees)?! Where's the snow?

    That is a PILE of work you've done there Grant and looks really good, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think winter might be done here. I do live in a desert after all. It is so bad that I have even started planting my yard. :P

      Delete
    2. Ya cut me deep, my Mustang friend. Ya cut me real deep just then. (LMAO!)

      Delete
  3. Grant, you can't beat that Blair spot weld cutter. It's fantastic and will make your work soooooo much easier. You've tackled a ton of word there, especially on that rear frame rail. Slowly but surely you're going to replace all the metal in that fastback!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm afraid of Dennis, I really don't want to have to replace the WHOLE car. :P

      Delete