Friday, June 13, 2014

Passenger toe board and floor

I have moved on to the toe board and the floor.  This post has been a couple of weeks in the making, I kinda didn't want to write anything until it was more or less finished.  Get everything in one go type thing.  Anyway, here it is.  After I had finished getting the torque box installed, it was time for the toe board.  Had some issues getting it in, but nothing that I couldn't figure out.  First thing to do was to cut it down and figure out how much was really needed.  Did a little trimming in the car, placed the toe board and made some rough cuts.  Slowly cut my way down until I had a patch for just the area I wanted to do.

I went to get it more permanently in place and noticed it wasn't lying flat to the torque box.  Turns out the rib on the right side was not exactly the same length as the one stamped in the torque box.  I made some relief cuts to the area and used my hammer to "massage" it into place.  Once I was happy with the fit, I drilled my holes for the welds and locked it into place.  After butt welding the seams, and fixing just a couple of those pesky pinholes, I welded up the relief cuts to finish sealing up the area on the torque box.  Not the prettiest grinding, but it will do.  I may revisit this later on.

With that done it was time to get the floor fit and in place.  After doing the driver side floor this one went in much easier.  First I trimmed off some of the crap that was the edges of the old floor, and then did a rough fit.  Little trimming of the floor itself for a closer fit, and then a little more trimming.  Drilled all my holes for the welds (seriously tedious, I'm thinking about finding a hole punch), and started spot welding it down around the rocker and the floor support.  Those are the areas that were pretty easy to see that it was where I wanted it.  I then pulled out the self tapping screws, clecos, and clamps.  

I basically went and screwed everything on the floor cross member down, while massaging it with my hammer.  I'm pretty sure that there isn't anybody doing these floors that hasn't had to resort to this method.  The radius on that part of the floor just isn't ideal.  After getting it flush to the cross member, I found a some buckling near the tunnel and had to cut it in order to get it to lay flat.  Next step was to screw/cleco the edge of the new floor to the edge of the tunnel in order to get a tight fit.  I then proceeded to cut through both pieces of metal to get a perfect gap for the butt welding.  Just trimmed a few inches at a time, peeled away the unwanted metal and then a few tacks here and there to hold it in place.  Wash, rinse, and repeat until I had done the entire edge from front to back.

I doubled checked the fit, and proceeded to jump around playing connect the dots on the edges, and filling in the spot welds everywhere else.  The result was a floor that went in much smoother and cleaner than the one I did on the driver's side.  Nothing like experience to make things easier.  I ran out of time, so I still need to grind it all down, but the floor is officially in.  No more Flintstones car for me!


Some judicious trimming.
Getting ready to weld it in.  If you look close on the right rib, you can see where I had to cut it in order to get it to fit in the similar area on the torque box.  It was just a little too long to settle down inside.

Welded in and ground down.

Definitely looks better after some paint.

Initial fitting of the floor.

Ugly mess has to go!


Bye, Bye!

Much better!

Don't need this part.

Gone!

Working on the final fitting.

Got a few spot welds and a lot of screws.  You can see the buckling just at the tunnel.  Had to do a relief cut there.

Trimmed and tacked together.

Same thing, only at the back.

Played connect the dots.

Front all welded in.  Just need to get it ground down and cleaned up.

6 comments:

  1. Gettin' it done Grant! Glad to see this update and excellent progress report!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this look so familiar. Looks like you handled it like a pro Grant. In a way, I regret not putting in the full 1/2 floors even though I didn't need the rear section just to help with the smoothness of the floor underneath and not have a weld joint to deal with. Great progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I envy the fact that you didn't have to do as much welding, and grinding. And I still have to deal with that big long weld joint!

      Delete
  3. Nice work Grant! It does look like a pro job as Sven pointed out. Regarding getting a punch, I have strong feelings about that that I want to pontificate on. You'll probably wind up with a 1/4" punch whereas Ford used 3/8" spot welds. Calculate the perimeter of the 1/4" circle and then do the same for the 3/8" circle and you'll see that the 1/4" plug weld comes up quite short in terms of strength. So, please use either double the number of 1/4" plugs or get a 3/8" punch. Or... my favorite solution... use the 1/4" punch to make pilot hole for a 3/8" step drill to finish the holes. Just my 2 cents. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing out those concerns Alex, as I hadn't really taken a look at what is available yet. Either way, it would lessen the amount of work involved in getting those holes prepped for welding. I currently use a step bit and it does tend to get pretty tedious at times. I did somewhere around 80+ on this piece, and I felt like I was drilling forever.

      Delete