Monday, June 30, 2014

Seat Riser

After the floor was finished, it was just a matter of getting the seat riser welded in.  This is usually a pretty straight forward job.  Unfortunately for me, I had a small problem I didn't realize was there until I went to install it.  Apparently I was not paying as much attention to the floor install as I should have been.  It actually had a bit of a bow downward against the rocker right where the front of the riser is.  I didn't take any pictures of it, so I won't get into great detail.  I basically cut several of my welds (as in about 15) and proceeded to fix my error.  It really wasn't that far off and I could have reshaped the riser to fit, but I do feel that this was the better solution.  Now, let's get to the riser.

At this point it was a pretty simple process of matching the measurements of the drivers side, and some minor reshaping to fit the floor pan.  I proceeded to drill all my spot weld holes, and painted the underside with zero rust.  I then wire wheeled away the e-coat in the weld areas, and applied some weld thru primer.  After everything was dry, it was fitted, and clamped.  Once I was satisfied with the fit, I welded it into place.  After a little grinding, cleaning, and finally some painting, it is now what I can call finished.  Next up, I plan on replacing the transition pan.


Initial fitting.

Prepped, underside painted, and clamped/clecoed in place.

Welded and ground down.

The paint is still wet when I took the picture, that is why it looks blotchy.


3 comments: