Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Up to date

I think with this post, things will be up to date and all my posts from here on out should be pretty close to the date I have been doing everything.

One of the things I decided to replace because it wasn't to expensive was the transmission tunnel support brace.  I ordered it and cut out the old one using my spot weld cutter from harbor freight.  I have enjoyed the use of this tool, but you do need to be a little bit careful using it as it can break teeth off if you don't keep it straight.  I welded the new support in using the holes I drilled with the cutter.

I then worked on getting the driver side floor support in.  I painted it on primer and using the dimensions on the data sheet lined everything up according to the locating holes.  This actually caused a problem a little bit later.

I drilled out 36 new holes for welding the support onto the frame and the trans support.  Everything went in well and the welds looked really strong.  In fact I basically hung off it to test the strength.  I must be getting better at my welding.
All those little holes are where rivets were used.  What a mess, I filled all of them with weld before fitting the support.

 Support fitting.

 Support is welded in.


Next thing on the list was to get the torque box into place.  I spent several hours working at the fitment of the piece and it just wasn't working.  I then got to looking at the floor support I had welded in.  Something didn't seem right.  I pulled out my tape measure and started taking measurements.  Everything lined fine and matched the measurements I had.  I then measured the other floor support that I haven't taken out yet.  Amazingly enough, the new aftermarket support was actually about 1/2" to long.  Wish I knew about it earlier, I would have adjusted for the difference.  Oh well, I measured and prepared to take about a 1/2" off the front end to give the torque box room.  I marked it with my sharpie and laid down a line of blue tape to make sure everything was straight.  I then preceded to cut into to piece.  I took slow and tried to follow the tape line with the angle grinder.  I then grabbed the dremel and finished the cut with it.  After getting the cut piece out of the way, I proceeded to fit the torque box.  Everything lined up great!

I haven't welded it in yet, I am waiting for some high draw wing nut clecos to help me keep everything tight as I weld it.  I first saw these on SW Pruett's Boss 302 project and decided I needed some of these to go with my set of regular clecos.  You can get to his blog here http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/  I also have to drill and prep the torque box for welding.  After it is in, I will probably buy some zero rust and paint the entire thing with it.

Here you can see how much I cut off.
The fit is much better now.
Inside of torque box during fitting.
I am really glad I bought the Dynacorn two piece torque box.  It made fitting so much easier.
Front of torque box.
Bottom of torque box.  You can see how everything is parallel.  It wasn't that way when I first tried to get it fit into place.  It was starting to drive me nuts!

Here are some things that people might find interesting.
Rusted out hood, it is so not worth trying to fix all that rust.  The hood would probably fall apart if I tried to media blast it.
Here lies the remains of the rotten metal, may it rest in piece.
Remains of the rusted front suspension.
New parts to go in, they are patiently waiting for their turn to bring this car back to life.
More new parts.

Here is the Marti Auto Works report on my car.  As you can see there really wasn't anything to special about it.  It means I don't feel bad about not making a concours car.

No comments:

Post a Comment